Thursday, August 10, 2017

Dear Zindagi Movie Review

There are some movies you watch and find out they are a total flop. Then there are some you decide are a one-time kind of good entertainment. Then there are some that simply make you fall in love with them. Dear Zindagi is one such movie. Dear Zindagi made me fall in love; I fell in love with the characters, the story, the emotions, the everything. It is a beautiful movie, a soul pleasing one. It kept me glued to the screen till the very last scene and I actually watched it in one go (which is rare because life usually doesn't let me do that). It was a brilliant movie and one I'll recommend to anyone and everyone! Dear Zindagi is Kaira's story, a young woman who isn't entirely content with her life until she meets Jehangir Khan. 'Jug' is a free spirited, sorted psychologist with great pieces of advice to share. Jug helps Kaira see life through a new perspective and helps her come to terms with her biggest secret and main cause of mental distress.

I'm huge over emotions and this movie was overflowing with them. Moreover, Shahrukh Khan and Alia Bhatt's candid flawless acting made it all the more real. Emotions in this movie were bonafide to the extent that I was crying my eyes out throughout. There's the tear here and there kind of crying and there is a hysterical sort of crying. I was crying hysterically. The emotions were intense and real!

It is no surprise that Shahrukh Khan played 'Jug' or Jehangir Khan perfectly. You give SRK the role of the 'experienced' man and he'll pep talk his way right into your heart. I don't think anybody could have done a better job at playing a psychologist than him in this movie. Coming from him quotes automatically hit the heart, words directly felt like life lessons to cherish, and his persona made the character immensely believable. However, Shahrukh Khan playing a life-like character is rather expected because, well, because he's SRK but Alia Bhatt exceeded expectations here. She was phenomenal and the reason why I cried buckets full throughout the movie.

I'm not a really big fan of Alia Bhatt because I always feel like she does the same kind of roles: a rebel sort of a girl or a snobby one - basically like Poo from Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham. She'll be talking rudely or be super frank. This time too she was in a similar role and when the movie began I thought, "Oh no, again?" But then she proved me wrong. Sure, she plays the same kind of character here too, but she does it with impeccable perfection. She's played depression and anxiety so well that you'd forget you were watching a movie. I cried when she cried because oh dear (pun intended) her crying is so genuine. She makes Kaira very relatable - a character you can consider a friend and one you'd be shouting out suggestions to at your screen.


Her performance, in my opinion, was truly award winning. Usually Shahrukh Khan's acting acumen overpowers all characters in his movies but undoubtedly here Alia Bhatt stole the show. Please don't even ask me how terribly I was crying. I had to keep the lights in my room switched off even when it became dark because I was an emotional mess - the kind nobody should witness!


The movie has some great quotes, some spoken by popular people of wisdom and others delivered by Jug himself. There were life lessons conveyed which resonate in my thoughts even weeks after I've watched Dear Zindagi. The film, and Jug's character, convey a different perspective towards life - a positive, less complicated one. They teach you to take the simple route for solving the not-so-simple dilemmas of your life. I loved every other dialogue of this movie and while such motivational dialogues usually just sound motivational until shared as memes all over the internet, words spoken in this movie actually felt not only relatable but also realistic.


The chemistry SRK and Alia Bhatt displayed on screen was so awesome. I remember when they'd been promoting the movie I'd been thinking how odd they'd look together but they didn't. Their sessions together were actually fun to watch and very interesting.

I can actually see how some people may have not liked this movie because it's not the typical fast-paced SRK blockbuster like Kal Ho Naa Ho or Alia's super fun film like Student of the Year. I can even see those annoying know-it-all critics giving the movie some super complicated reviews about how it could have been better after consulting the thesaurus to add words that make their opinions sound super important. Truth is, this movie is very simple. It is a simple story which keeps unfolding slowly while you watch. If someone likes a good story full of emotions, just like me, they should do themselves a favor and watch Dear Zindagi regardless of what whoever wants to say about it. Personally, I loved the movie, the story, the characters, and the intense emotions and will recommend it to whoever asks me for a movie recommendation!

"Don't let the past blackmail your present into ruining a beautiful future ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment